Dear Parents & Caregivers,
Welcome back to a very busy term. We are all looking forward to our new principal, Jane Bush starting at VAS in week 6. Consequently I am very privileged to be the acting principal with the job of keeping our wonderful school going until she arrives. I really appreciate the kind messages of support I have received.
If you were able to enjoy a holiday with your children, I hope it was very relaxing. For those of you who still had to work, I hope you enjoyed the break from the school lunches / drop off / pick up routine!
Today at 9.30am VAS participated in the ShakeOut Earthquake Drill. The ShakeOut drill is held across the world to remind people of the right action to take during an earthquake — Drop, Cover and Hold. The drill is an important part of our VAS Health Safety plan but also more importantly teaches our students of the importance of being prepared.
Tomorrow we will be acknowledging Pink Shirt Day which is a national bullying prevention campaign run by the Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand. To show our commitment to creating an environment that is safe, welcoming and inclusive of all students we are encouraging all students to wear something pink tomorrow.
While I am talking about health I want to just remind you as a SunSmart school all students need to wear a hat this term. Please make sure it is named.
This term will go by very quickly as there are many important activities and events on. For the first two weeks, children will be undertaking reading, writing and mathematics testing so the teachers can report achievement to parents in the end of year report.
Also there are lots of exciting events to mark in your calendar now:
- Tuesday 10th – November Senior Athletics Day – Y5 & Y6
- Wednesday 2nd December -Middle School Athletics Day at VAS – Y3 & Y4
- Friday 4th December – Juniors Athletic Day at VAS – Y0, Y1 & Y2
- Monday 9th & Wednesday 11th November – Y5 EOTC (Education Outside The Classroom)
- 12th & 13th November – Y5 Beach Education
- Wednesday 25th & Thursday 26th November – Student Led Conferences
- Thursday 3rd December – Y6 leavers’ dinner
- Friday 11th December – reports and class placements sent home
- Friday 11th December – Prize Giving at VAS – 9.00-10.00am Y4-Y6; 2.00 – 2.30pm – Junior Prize Giving
- Monday 14th December – Y6 leavers’ activity day
- Wednesday 16th December – last day of school – school finishes at 12.30pm
Friends of Victoria Avenue School Events (What an amazing group of parents!):
- Friday 30th October – Halloween Disco
- Thursday 10th Dec – Family Fun Night
Further information about each of these events will be sent home at the time. Dates can change due to unforeseen circumstances so please make sure you read the newsletter for the latest information.
Chaos at the School Gate
Unfortunately this week I have heard about inconsiderate parking outside the school. Our neighbours are quite rightly very annoyed at people parking across their driveways. Auckland Transport have also contacted me with complaints. So please be considerate of our neighbours and park further away rather than across driveways.
Ngā mihi nui