Plastic Free July
It will soon be July, how quickly the year goes by! July could be a good time to start a new challenge – Plastic free July! This initiative is a great way to monitor your plastic use and perhaps take stock of how much plastic you are using, and look for alternatives. Even if you try it for a day or a week its an interesting experience. Waste free Wednesday could be a good start!
Kids also love to get involved and relish telling you when some plastic escapes your gaze.
There are some great zero waste products available now – keep cups, metal straws, honey wraps, solid shampoo bars, the list is growing all the time.
There are lots of ways to reduce your plastic load, and most are easy!
There are lots of ideas on this website
But here are some easy tips
1. Countdown supermarkets are allowing you to bring your own container. Easy! Just bring your own container to fill up at the deli/ fresh fish etc. Also if you forget to bring produce bags in the supermarket – use the mushroom paper bags.
2. Try looking for products in glass/metal/cardboard – or cut down your use for plastic wrapped products.
3. Bin Inn has come a long way and has heaps of good zero waste products, and even grind your own nut butters.
4. Try and make your own! Bread/ nut mylks/even bathroom cleaner!
5. Some forward thinking companies are now are using home compostible plastics – Bostock chicken and Proper chips – perhaps seek out these products.
6. . Most importantly, this process can fun and creative. Its exciting learning about new ways of doing things. Starting to make a change can be tricky, but any less plastic helps!
Click here for a Plastic Free July Action Picker.