Welcome back, the weather during the holidays was great, and of course, it was easier to get to and from work without all the school traffic on the roads. We are all back into work mode and looking ahead to another great term.
It is World Cultural Day for Diversity on 21 May so all year teams have planned their topic for the first three weeks around cultural diversity. The focus for each year is as follows:
Year 1: Celebrate! Celebrations bring us together. We are celebrating that we come from a variety of cultural backgrounds.
Year 2: Diversity Matters! There are many ways that people can be different from each other. Understanding, respecting and accepting people who are different from us will help us work, play and live peacefully – making the world a better place.
Year 3: Our Story: Cultural Diversity. He waka eke noa: we’re all in this together.
Year 4: We are One!
Year 5: A Cultural Celebration. We can make a difference to our community by recognising and appreciating that New Zealand has a diverse cultural mix.
Year 6: Melting Pot. New Zealand is a diverse and changing society. Students will be learning how to be respectful and will demonstrate an understanding and awareness of a variety of cultures around the world.
World Cultural Day for Diversity – Tuesday 21st May
For the next three weeks our learning focus is on ‘Cultures of the World’. Each Year level over three weeks will research and study three cultures culminating in a school-wide celebration of ‘World Cultural Day’ on Tuesday 21st May.
This is what you need to know:
- Students can dress up on World Cultural Day for Diversity
- There will be a shared cultural lunch 12.15 – 1.15pm which all VAS families are invited to. Students need to bring a plate of food to share from their culture.
- At 1.45pm for parents/ family there will be a cultural show in the hall featuring our Kapa Haka, choir, orchestra and Chinese groups.
Along with the World Cultural Day for Diversity there is a lot planned for this term:
- Year 5 children are very excited about their planned camp at Long Bay which is happening in week 3.
- Bully Free NZ week 13 – 17 May with Pink Shirt Day on 17 May.
- Scholastic Book Fair in the library 4 – 7 June.
- Grandparents’ day is on Friday 7 June.
- Science in a Van visit for the whole school.
- Student Led Conferences in the last week of term.
Bully Free NZ week is coming up so a reminder that we do not tolerate bullying, but we can’t act on it if we don’t know about it! Remember that bullying is systematic targeting of one child by another / group of others and of course the bullies are never going to do it in front of adults. We need your help, so let us know if your child has issues and we will deal with it immediately.
It is going to be a busy but exciting term, so keep reading the emails sent out, keep up to date using the VAS app, read the newsletter through our website.