In addition to weekly PE lessons with Mr Hemus, all students take part in school sports. This is organised in the Junior, Middle and Senior class team with the emphasis being on participation and fair play.
There are some additional sporting opportunities made available to Year 5 & 6 students which involve competing against other schools. These include:
- Our school swimming sports which takes place on Monday 2 March at Diocesan Aquatic Centre and involves all Year 5 & 6 students. Students who win events may qualify for the Remuera Zone Swimming Sports on Tuesday 17 March (Save day 19 March).
- There are two interschool sports exchanges planned for this term, on February 18th and March 10th, with teams selected to play cricket, T-Ball, touch rugby and tennis. All Year 5 & 6 students were given the opportunity to sign up for team trials at the beginning of the year. Teams are reviewed for each exchange however, while we endeavour to take as many teams as possible to sports exchanges this is dependent on how many teams other schools put forward.
- A highlight of the term will be the Summer Field Day on March 24th. Teams for these will be finalised once we know how many we can send to each event.
Our school 3 & 4 Flippaball teams are well underway and play on Sundays.
As the netball season approaches next term, information will be sent out late in term 1 regarding registration for netball teams.
Codes of Conduct
Here are links for Codes of Conduct for participants, coaches, managers and supporters:
- Coach’s Code of Conduct
- Manager’s Code of Conduct
- Player’s Code of Conduct
- Supporter’s Code of Conduct
Netball and Information 2020
Registration for VAS Netball 2020 is not yet available. All players are welcome – no previous netball experience is required. Please take the time to read the following outline so that you understand the format that Auckland Netball operates and how we manage netball at our school.
The cost per player is TBD. This includes hire of the netball uniform and can be paid via the school shop at http://victoriaave.com/school-shop/ or at the School Office.
All games are played at the AMI Auckland Netball Centre, St Johns. Year 3-6 teams play on Thursday afternoons, starting TBD.
- Year 3 and 4 teams play a modified five-a-side game on 2/3 of a netball court and players play all positions
- Year 5 & 6 teams play a modified six-a-side format on the full court with players playing all positions
Further information can be found on the Auckland Netball website http://www.aucklandnetball.co.nz/netball/
- Year 3 teams will be formed by our Specialist PE teacher + TBD
- Year 4 – Muster day TBD
- Year 5 – Demonstration of new format TBD and trial TBD
- Year 6 – Trials TBD and (if required) TBD
Further details re timing and location of these sessions are available on the school calendar. Please ensure that Year 4-6 players have appropriate PE gear and footwear.
Note that at this age children develop and change year to year so it is likely that teams will change. Players need to be prepared to play in different teams from previous years.
We rely on parent volunteers to coach and manage our teams. Please indicate on the registration form whether you or someone you know would be able to provide assistance in either role throughout the season. If we are unable to locate coaches, some teams may not be able to compete and registration fees may have to be refunded.
We have some coaching courses coming up in April and May run by NNZ. If you’d like to go to these, please email us and we can sign you up electronically. These will be free of charge or the fees covered for our wonderful coaches.
Coaches arrange one weekly practice before or after school in consultation with the netball co-ordinators to achieve a workable timetable for all teams. Regular lunchtime practices cannot be accommodated due to space constraints. Coaches who wish to practice more than once per week will consult with parents of their players before making a decision.
Year 5 and 6 players will be committed to playing netball for Tuesday Winter Exchanges and will not be eligible for other Winter Exchange teams.
Codes of Conduct
VAS has codes of conduct for players, coaches, managers and spectators to which all participants in the sport are expected to adhere, see http://victoriaave.com/latest-sports-news/
Pre-Season and Summer League
Pre-season netball training can be sourced from College Rifles or Auckland Netball and is at the discretion of parents. Some people also choose to participate in the ANC Summer League in Terms 1 and 4 which is organised by parents independent of the school.
Queries can be directed to TBD or TBD