Welcome to our Victoria Avenue School Family
Starting a new school is an exciting time for children and parents. By working in partnership with you we aim to provide your child with the best possible start to their school life at Victoria Avenue.
Ideas to Help Your Child be Ready for School:
The following are some ideas which may help:
- Help your child to recognise and write their own name
- Know the basic colour names
- Recognise the names and sounds of the alphabet letters
- Count forward and backwards to at least 10
- Be prepared to share and work with others
- Read lots of stories to your child
- Talk to your children and answer their questions
- Provide them with the opportunity to experiment with colour (crayons, pencils, paint) and to use equipment like scissors, a pencil etc.
- Encourage your child to take responsibility for their possessions
- Provide your child with plenty of opportunity to talk to others
- Teach your child how to handle a book with care
From Paihia School BOI
Click here to ensure you have followed the pre-enrolment procedure outlined and check your eligibility to attend our school. You will need to contact our school before proceeding with the enrolment process outlined below.
NEW ENTRANTS – 5 Year olds
Two weeks before your child is due to start school you will receive an invitation to come to school for two pre-school meetings from 9.00am to 10:30am. This is an opportunity for your child to spend time with their new class and teacher. We will also invite parents to attend a meeting and at this time you will be able to talk to senior staff about starting school, school routines and how to help your child get off to a great start.
The two Thursdays just prior to your child turning five you will be scheduled for preschool visits from 9.00am to 10.30am.
To the first meeting you will need to bring the following for your child:
- Birth certificate or passport.
- Immunisation certificate
The following forms: these can be downloaded, printed and completed before you attend your preschool morning.
- Enrolment Form
- Permission Form
- Cybersafety Agreement – Please read with your children then complete and return Section D only) to the school office.
- Hearing and Vision Health Form
- You no longer need to complete the dental form.
PTS – The PTS fundraisers and “friendraisers” for our school with various functions throughout the year and we need your assistance.
As a school community it is hard to get to know everyone, what you do and the resources parents have access to.
Please complete the following survey to help the PTS better serve the school and network with the community.
Please click on the link below to complete a short survey to give the PTS an indication of how you can assist us during the school year.
We appreciate your offers of help and willingness to take part in this survey.
OLDER STUDENTS (any students other than new 5 Year olds)
You are required to bring all the above forms and documents however you will need to make an appointment with Linley Garrett to complete the enrolment process. You will also need to complete the pre-enrolment forms and check your eligibility. Please click here to email for an appointment.
If you have problems downloading these forms please request paper copies be posted to you. Remember to include your name and address in the email. You cannot request these forms unless you have pre-enroled.
Other Information ALL new students will need to know:
1. PTS – there are many ways in which you can assist the school. These include responding to assistance requests made by the PTS for sausage sizzles, discos, fundraiser, class parents, parent helpers in the classroom – the list is long! Click here for more information. Please click here to complete this Helping Hands survey if you would like to help in any way.
2. Uniform – Click here to see our uniform requirements. Click here to order and pay for uniform online. There are photos of the items on this page. The uniform shop is also open at school on Fridays from 8.15 – 8.45am. As new students you can also make an appointment to have your child’s uniform fitted. Email the office for instructions on how to do this. The uniform shop is located in the old dental clinic situated halfway up “Dragon Drive”.
3. Lunch Orders – information and ordering details are here.
4. After School Care – click here for information and a pre-enrolment from.
We also have After School Activities – please click here for more information.
5. Walking School Bus – a great way to “transport” your children to school. Click here for more information.
6. Playground Behaviour – information on our Behaviour Management programme and Peer Mediation is available here.
7. Information on Nits / Headlice is also available here.
8. Click here for the School A-Z – this is essential reading.
9. Newsletters are published every Thursday. Click here for this year’s editions so far.
10. School Calendar is on our home page and in more detail here on this link.
11. Please inform the school of any absences. You can use the Report Absence Button on the homepage of the website.
12. Search Engine. Our website can be searched using the search box at the top right of all our webpages. It will search all newsletters and information on our website.
13. Dental Care:
Our dental clinic is no longer in use. The Auckland Regional Dental Service have changed the way dental care is delivered to children across Auckland. A fully equipped dental van will visit the school once or twice a year and remain on site for one or two weeks at a time. There are also a number of Hub clinics available for parents to contact if necessary. Our closest Hub clinic is Orakei Children’s Community Dental Clinic at Orakei School or Remuera Intermediate – if you are unsure where to go phone 0800 825583.
If you are unable to find answers to your questions on the website please don’t hesitate to email us, call us (09 5200602) or come and see us (282 Victoria Ave, Remuera, Auckland).